In His Service

I pray my words will always reflect my love for & service to God.

25 November 2009

Prepared for the Unexpected......

Tomorrow is Thanksgiving, the only holiday I go all out for, as far as cooking goes. Those who know me also know its the only holiday I cook for.  I have been cooking Thanksgiving dinner since I was 20, as a newlywed.  Suffice it to say, there have been quite a few dinners prepared and often, a 'catastrophe' involved. 
One year, I was carrying gravy from the kitchen to the living room and SPLAT!! dropped the entire bowl all over me, the carpet, furniture......you get the idea. Let me tell you, hot gravy burns, not to mention getting gravy out of carpet!  Dinner was a bit late that year.
Then there was the year we had Thanksgiving early, before Josh shipped out to Okinawa.(at least I think thats where he was heading)....thats the one and only year I used stove top stuffing instead of making it from scratch.  Judging from the reaction by my children (teens and above) one would have thought I had grown a second head, trust me, that mistake was never made again!

Many Thanksgiving mornings I have bustled in the kitchen, stressing over this or that, snapping at my family and then no one is happy, kind of defeats the entire purpose of the day, doesn't it? This year, I have prepared many things ahead of time.  The only things that will need to be made are the mashed potatoes & gravy along with the turkey.  Everything else will just need to be reheated. If some unexpected event happens, I will have the time to handle it.  Perhaps, I will even watch the Macys Thanksgiving Day Parade with the family.

Praying all of you are able to enjoy an enjoyable, stress free Thanksgiving Day.


No comments:

Post a Comment